Who can I sue if I slip and fall at someones home?

Posted by Leslie M. Stovall, Esq. | Apr 04, 2019 | 0 Comments

If you fell and are seriously injured, make sure the right person pays!

We all know slip and falls in hotels, casinos, shops, grocery stores, restaurants, sidewalks, and parking lots can cause very serious injuries. But people can also get very seriously injured when visiting someone's home!

Did you know most  traumatic brain injuries that occur yearly are a result of dangerous falls that can happen anywhere. If you slip and fall and suffer serious injuries, you may be wondering who is at fault and who can you sue.

The person who owns or otherwise controls the property where the accident happened is going to be the proper person to sue and hold responsible for injuries realted to the slip and fall at the property. So that could mean the homeowner, apartment manager, or property manager of a residential property.

People you can sue in slip and fall (falling) cases may include:

  • the property owner,
  • the property manager
  • a tenant on the property, and/or
  • an occupant on the property

Typical evidence that can demonstrate the defendant has ownership or control of the property includes:

  • deeds,
  • leases, and
  • other property records.

Serious injuries that result from slip in falls include:

  • head and brain injuries
  • spinal injuries
  • cognitive and behavioral problems,
  • catastrophic injuries and/or
  • slipped or herniated disks,
  • fractures,
  • nerve or organ damage,
  • paralysis,
  • chronic pain, 
  • death
  • facial injuries,
  • knee injuries, including dislocated patellas or MCL or ACL injuries
  • neck, shoulder, hip, tailbone,or rotator cuff
  • wrist or elbow injuries

Dangerous conditions may arise and give way to slip and falls when landowners, property managers, and tenants fail to take the following preventative and remedial measures:

  • Mopping up spills;
  • Maintaining handrails on staircases;
  • Keeping walkways free of debris, loose cords, and falling objects;
  • Following safety codes;
  • Replace damaged, torn, or worn carpeting;
  • Removing excess wax from floors;
  • Repairing cracked or uneven walkways and stairs;

Common slipping and falling accidents include:

  • Tripping and falling on toys or other objects on the floor
  • Tripping over carpet or rugs
  • Stumbling over uneven surfaces
  • Tumbling down uneven steps
  • Slipping by a swimming pool
  • Slipping on any other wet surface
  • tripping on an item that should not have been on the floor
  • Slipping in the shower because the bath mat is too worn to provide non-slip protection

You may  be wondering how you can recover money if you slip and fall at someone's home who may not have extra money.

Most times people will have a homeowner's insurance policy that may be the source of funds if the homeowner is found liable for the slip and fall.

Injured in a slip and fall accident? Call our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys at 702-258-3034 for a FREE consultation.

About the Author

Leslie M. Stovall, Esq.

Profile Leslie Mark Stovall, owner and founder of Stovall & Associates, has practiced law for over 23 years in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mr. Stovall established his Las Vegas office in 1987 and opened an office in Pahrump, Nevada in November 2008. His clients include individuals, corporations, partn...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Firm Background

Stovall & Associates brings over four decades of trial lawyer experience to every case.

Free Initial Consultation

Still unsure if we're the right option? No worries. Give us a call to set up a free consultation. We'll take a look at your case and tell you what we think your best options are. If that includes hiring us, great. If not, we'll use our extensive knowledge of the legal community to set you up with an attorney who gives you the best chance to win.